Last year we finally put in a trellis for our marionberries. They were sprawling all over the ground, desperately trying to conquer the house, and enough was enough. I hacked them back and we used some old posts to build a simple frame. The trellis was not an entirely painless project — most notably, digging the holes for the posts taught us exactly where our water lines were in front of the house. It also gave us some undoubtedly useful experience in patching pipes.
But this year, with some diligent pruning and training (i.e., sticking wayward canes back into the trellis), our marionberries are much more organized. And they are good. We ate the first of them today. Considering that even last year I managed to get enough for a batch of jam, I’m very hopeful about our haul this year. They are so good that we’re considering getting rid of our last Japanese maple and replacing it with more marionberries. I’ve nothing against the maple, exactly… it simply fails to be tasty.